Ilet Gosier

With Kim, Cath & Dom already anchored at Pointe-a-Pitre, they informed us that there really wasn’t much more space for us to anchor there with them & the mooring balls across the channel weren’t much better, with us unable to find a way to book ahead, we made the decision to anchor at Ilet Gosier.

It was the first time we anchored, where I was not dropping the anchor, as I had a meeting that I needed to be in. Emily however, was super chuffed to be able to look after doing it, so it looks like there is someone to backup my job now, maybe even steal it. 😂

The winds were not ideal, so our first night there was like trying to ride a bull and sleep at the same time (video). Then a storm blew in the next day & the anchorage was dead calm by the afternoon, amazing what a change in wind direction can do. I unfortunately didn’t get any video of the dramatic & very welcome change.

We ran to shore the morning after we arrived (before the storm rolled in) to quickly grab a few things we needed from some chandlery shops in Pointe-a-Pitre before it was due to pour. It was a decent walk, but pretty flat, so not too bad, something we appreciated a little more on the way back, when we were loaded up.

Between a few chandlery shops we managed to get most of what we needed, including a lifeline clasp, new lines for the headsail (genoa) & some covers for the lifelines. We have had an issue with lines being shredded by the rubbing on the bare lifelines, so hopefully the covers help. We also got a couple of flags & some other misc spares we needed to replenish. After getting everything from the shops, we made our way back, stopping at Leader Price and a lovely produce market to replenish our food stocks. Boat parts & food, such a successful day!

Friday evenings there is a lovely night market just onshore in the big green space at Le Gossier, so instead of shooting through quickly, we decided to stay on. It was well worth it. We did some laundry earlier in the day as well & managed to get it all on board, before the rain that came. Unfortunately the laundromat we found was much further than another one that Kim found the day before. She added the closer laundry to the map on noforeignland, for others though, which is awesome.

The night market at Gosier was well worth it. You need to get there around 5ish though, because by 7pm some of the vendors have already sold out of a lot of things. We picked up more produce and some food to eat for dinner, before the rain that we expected much earlier in the day, hit. We missed seeing Kim unfortunately, but we did catch up with Cath & Dom at the markets.

Cath & Dom parted ways with Kim on Breizh Fenua  the day before & contacted us about perhaps joining us on our next leg to Riviere Sens/ Basse-Terre, so they came aboard Friday night in preparation for our departure. We had originally planned to leave on Saturday, but decided to delay until Sunday, so that we could explore Îlet du Gosier and check out the lighthouse there. It was an interesting outing. However, as it was raining & the island turned out to have a large number of Manchineel trees on it, we had to quickly make our way through certain areas.

Every part of the manchineel trees is poisonous, that includes the bark, leaves, fruit & especially the sap. The fruit that grows on them look a little like tiny apples. If you stand under the tree in the rain, the sap that runs off the tree will cause blisters & you definitely don’t want to get it into in your eyes. They often mark the trees with a big an X, & there are often signs, but on the island we didn’t see any signs, just big X marks to make you aware of questionable trees. Wikipedia has a nice little write up about the manchineel tree if you want to read more.

We had a pretty early departure on Sunday, as planned, in a bit of rain, but it wasn’t too bad. The trip was pretty good, although as we came around the headland towards Basse-Terre, the shackle that was holding the mainsail (to the traveller snapped), which meant that the boom was not secured. We all worked together though to secure it & the boat & no-one was hurt. After anchoring, Dom & Cath took the kids for a bit, whilst we sorted out repairs, putting in some putty to patch a couple of areas & we found a shackle in our spares to replace the one that had snapped (drilling out the threaded side to fit). Video showing the damage is here & the picture that follows is the new shackle in place.

New Shackle 🙂

Sailing life is wonderful, 90% of the time it is bliss & then there are moments that get your blood flowing & the repairs that often follow. Those moments make you appreciate the blissful ones. 🙃

PS A picture I uploaded onto noforeignland, was featured on their social media, which we thought was pretty cool 🙂

This entry was posted in Caribbean, Repairs, Sailing, Social Media, Travel Adventures, Weather and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *